With my Headshot Happy Hour coming up on Thursday with Lori of Rodan+Fields and Blossom at Posh, I thought everyone could use some tips on how to get a great headshot. In our digital world, your headshot is almost a form of your first meeting with someone. It is important that your potential customers/employers see the YOU that you want them to see. Below are some tips to make sure that the best YOU shines through in your headshots.
1. Keep clothing simple and complimentary. Avoid busy patterns that might distract from your face. Tight checks, strips and hounds tooth can causes crazy reactions on camera
2. Pick the right colors. Avoid all white, avoid all black, and avoid colors that are too close to your skin tone. Colors that contrast with your skin tone draw attention to your face.
3. Choose the right neckline. V-necks, scoop necks and button downs elongate the neck and are the most flattering.
4. Check the arms. The more formal your profession, the more likely that your arms should be covered in the portraits. Sleeveless or cap sleeves look a little more casual.
5. Keep jewelry and accessories aligned with your personal brand. For most people simple jewelry is best and realize that religious jewelry might influence any potential customer.
6. If you want to get a new haircut, hair color, wax your eyebrows or tan, do it 3-5 days before your session.
7. Don’t wear your make up too much darker than you normally would.
8. Your hands may or may not show in your images. Make sure your nails are well kept whether they are polished or not.
9. Relax! Aim to show the most genuine expressions. You want your client to see YOU!
10. Look directly into the camera. Just like eye contact is important when you meet someone, clear eye contact with the camera is essential to build trust with your potential clients and/or employers.
We still have a couple of slots left for our Headshot Happy Hour. Click here for more information.